McKay Development

How do I choose the right server host?

Go Fast

The bot is currently ran &hosted on my PC just until I finish testing it, and I have a few questions before I host it on a sever:

1) Where should I host my bot? What's the best server host in terms of reliability / performance? I heard some people talking about DigitalOcean being a good host, is that so?

2) How much RAM do I need?  Assuming I have 100+ friends using the bot regularly and the bot itself is pretty simple (kinda similar to what Trading Card bots do but with a much smaller item database of accepted items) - How much RAM (or other hardware requirements) would I need?

3) Are my config.json & other files(where I store my sensitive information) safe? Do I need to encrypt the sensitive information on a different file? (A guide will be extremely helpful)

4) Is it crucial that my code isn't the most efficient? Or is it based on how much RAM the server have?

I appreciate any help! Thank you  B)

Edited by Go Fast

This forum is not the place for such posts as this.

It's main purpose is to help with McKay's node modules, not for node/server related questions that could be answered on stack overflow and such.

However, to at least partially guide you in the right direction, you'd be wanting to look at server protection.

Such as strong passwords, disabled root login, sha encryption, etc. (Seriously, just google "vps protection".)

DigitalOcean is fine. I'd recommend them more now that they've dropped their prices than I would in the past. If you're going with a VPS then you need to read up on security so you don't get pwned.

You probably want at least 2 GB of RAM. 1 GB might work but keep in mind that it also needs to support the entire OS too.

On a reputable host your files are safe. You don't need to encrypt them unless you're really paranoid, and if you do go that route you can't store the key on the server or it'll defeat the purpose.

DigitalOcean is fine. I'd recommend them more now that they've dropped their prices than I would in the past. If you're going with a VPS then you need to read up on security so you don't get pwned.

You probably want at least 2 GB of RAM. 1 GB might work but keep in mind that it also needs to support the entire OS too.

On a reputable host your files are safe. You don't need to encrypt them unless you're really paranoid, and if you do go that route you can't store the key on the server or it'll defeat the purpose.

I'm definitely going to look into VPS protection, thanks!

Speaking of protection, do you know if it's possible for users to Inject malicious code through the steam chat? Or does Steam take of that?