McKay Development

Classids

Simple

So I just finished reading the post on how to identify steam items and from what I understand, as long as the contextid doesn't change when one user trades an item to another user, the classid should ALWAYS remain the same? If so, is the classid all that is needed to identify the item in that case?

Classids can change whenever they want.

But I tested if out with Rust items, and the same type of items had identical classids even if they were in different inventories. Does that mean classids are enough to identify a Rust item?

EDIT: Did some more research, classid seems to be the same for all items with the same descriptions, so in Rust's case I don't think the description can be changed by the user and so there should technically be only 1 unique classid for each type of item. Am I understanding this right?

Edited by Simple

• 3 years later...
On 9/28/2018 at 11:04 PM, Dr. McKay said:

Classids can change whenever they want.

I wonder if you know this:
Does classid change when item's name changes?

I have this case when Booster Pack's name changes with games name and I am not able to keep track of my Purchase orders

Edited by Nickers

8 hours ago, Nickers said:

I wonder if you know this:
Does classid change when item's name changes?

I have this case when Booster Pack's name changes with games name and I am not able to keep track of my Purchase orders

Yes, a classid should change if a name does, although you won't necessarily get a different classid if an item has a different name but is otherwise the same item, e.g. name tags.