McKay Development

Using steam-passport in conjunction with steam-community

Barak

Hey McKay, loving the work that you've done for the steam and JS communities.

I've been using your `steamcommunity` package, but I've ran into this weird problem. 

I want to use the `getSteamUser` method on the community class.

My user is logged in via a Passport Steam strategy and that returns an object after the user logs in that looks like this:

image.png.a1d60a4ad812c2bc3370b3bfb3a2809a.png

this is my account. Right, so I deserialize this data in a session and work with the `steamid` property since that is the only one I need to perform actions etc.

But, when trying to use `getSteamUser` with this steamId it throws `Cannot find user`. I realize that it wants a steamID object or a URL as specified here

• id - Either a SteamID object or a user's URL (the part after /id/)\

but even when calling by my URL which in the above case it's `psychoqt` manually I get this back:

image.png.0a7c0da05e82025b1ede1b4760edf423.png

Now as you can see the steamID object is filled with universe type etc, but the accountID is different. It is not the steam ID. Even if I compose this object myself, I would be missing

the accountid from the previous payload.

The only solution I can see here is to parse `profileurl` and take everything right from `/id/` but it seems kinda hacky and inconsistent. Is there any other way I could go around this?

Thanks,,

Filip

A SteamID object is an object, not a string containing the 64-bit SteamID. See info here from the SteamCommunity docs.

The SteamID returned when you retrieve the user's profile from their vanity URL is indeed correct:

> const SteamID = require('steamid')
> let sid = new SteamID()
> sid.universe = 1
> sid.type = 1
> sid.instance = 1
> sid.accountid = 117631762
> sid.getSteamID64()
'76561198077897490'

If you have the SteamID e.g. from passport-steam, then this is how you'd call getSteamUser:

const SteamCommunity = require('steamcommunity');
let community = new SteamCommunity();
community.getSteamUser(new SteamCommunity.SteamID('76561198077897490'), (err, user) => {
    // . . .
});

That said, if all you're doing with node-steamcommunity is retrieving users' profile details, you're far better off using the WebAPI for that.