McKay Development

I'm getting a weird error

What Comes Around

Good day,

I get this error periodically. Sometimes it's smooth sailing, sometimes I'm getting this error for a lot of proxies. 

Error: tunneling socket could not be established, cause=connect ETIMEDOUT xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx
    at ClientRequest.onError (G:\SteamProject\Current Version\node_modules\tunnel-agent\index.js:177:17)
    at Object.onceWrapper (events.js:520:26)
    at ClientRequest.emit (events.js:400:28)
    at Socket.socketErrorListener (_http_client.js:475:9)
    at Socket.emit (events.js:400:28)
    at emitErrorNT (internal/streams/destroy.js:106:8)
    at emitErrorCloseNT (internal/streams/destroy.js:74:3)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:82:21) {
  code: 'ECONNRESET',
  body: undefined
}

For my request settings in the community constructor I have increased the timeout to 5 seconds but it still hasn't helped.

this.client = new SteamUser({
    httpProxy: proxy
});
this.community = new SteamCommunity({
    request: Request.defaults({proxy: proxy, timeout: 5000})
    //old request: Request.defaults({proxy: proxy})
})
this.manager = new TradeOfferManager({
    steam: this.client,
    community: this.community,
    language: 'en'
});

Do you think this is a proxy issue or steam issue? My proxy provider shows no issues with the proxies, and since it comes and goes I would be more inclined to think it's a steam issue. Any advice?

On 3/30/2023 at 5:35 AM, Dr. McKay said:

That's definitely a proxy issue. Your proxy isn't responding fast enough.

After digging around these past two days I think you are right. I don't think it's a configuration issue because if you look at tunneling agent the ECONRESET code is thrown out in any case, whether the proxy authentication fails, or a timeout, or whatever. I checked all of my proxies and they have the right credentials, and they are in the right format. Should also be noted that accounts do connect, just occasional requests get that error. So I believe like you said, the issue is the proxies are taking too long to tunnel a socket, so it throws out that error. A solution for me I think would be to either ignore the errors (the requests do go through sometimes), or pay for higher priority on the proxy network. For now, I'm using the simplest solution, ignoring the errors :P Thank you for your advice and thoughts!!

Edit: I should also mention. I said I increased the timeout for request to 5 seconds, firstly, the default timeout setting is higher, I think it's like 50 seconds, after finding that out I doubled it. However, this did not help. Which further confirms that the proxy is at fault and it's not a request issue. Again, the proxy doesn't tunnel a socket in time.

Edited by What Comes Around
I forgor