McKay Development

onFriendRelationshipChanged is fired even on error

Jack Nolddor

How to reproduce:

Try to addFriend() on an steamid already present at our friendlist

Expected Behavior:

SteamUser#addFriend() returned promise should fail with the following: EResult=14, Message=DuplicateName
No event is thrown as our friend relationships haven't changed.

Actual Behavior:

SteamUser#.addFriend() returned promise fails with the following: EResult=14, Message=DuplicateName
SteamUser emits an 'onFriendRelationshipChanged'  event even though if the above call fails.

Am i doing something wrong or is it a bug?

Edited by Jack Nolddor

It's not really a bug, per se. friendRelationship is emitted when Steam sends down a message that a relationship changed. I guess Steam assumes that your local data is out of date if you try to add someone who's already your friend, so you get the friendRelationship notification to make sure that your client is aware they're already your friend.

Nonetheless, I'll suppress friendRelationship and groupRelationship events for updates to our already-known relationship in 4.21.0.

21 hours ago, Dr. McKay said:

It's not really a bug, per se. friendRelationship is emitted when Steam sends down a message that a relationship changed. I guess Steam assumes that your local data is out of date if you try to add someone who's already your friend, so you get the friendRelationship notification to make sure that your client is aware they're already your friend.

Nonetheless, I'll suppress friendRelationship and groupRelationship events for updates to our already-known relationship in 4.21.0.

That's what i'm doing right now, instead of calling SteamUser#addFriend() directly i'm checking if the given steamid is already on myFriends with a EFriendRelationship.Friend to just don't call SteamUser#addFriend(). Probably the event is also thrown when EFriendRelationship.locked but haven't tested myself.

Thanks for this addition to v
4.21.0 would help a lot!

Edited by Jack Nolddor