McKay Development

Error AlreadyLoggedInElsewhere after update to V5 from V4

pagep

Hi guys

When I updated to the V5 all my code started failing due to error:

Error: AlreadyLoggedInElsewhere
    at SteamUser._handleLogOnResponse (/workspace/node_modules/steam-user/components/09-logon.js:775:17)
    at SteamUser.<anonymous> (/workspace/node_modules/steam-user/components/09-logon.js:786:7)
    at /workspace/node_modules/steam-user/components/classes/HandlerManager.js:35:12
    at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
    at HandlerManager.emit (/workspace/node_modules/steam-user/components/classes/HandlerManager.js:34:12)
    at SteamUser._handleMessage (/workspace/node_modules/steam-user/components/03-messages.js:641:25)
    at SteamUser._handleNetMessage (/workspace/node_modules/steam-user/components/03-messages.js:562:8)
    at SteamUser._processMulti (/workspace/node_modules/steam-user/components/03-messages.js:693:9) {

When I downgraded to V4, the error went away. No other code changes were necessary.

The error might be correct - I am indeed logging in multiple times, however I am using this code for login:

client.logOn({
      accountName: STEAM_ACCOUNT_NAME,
      password: STEAM_PASSWORD,
      // logonID ensures that we can have multiple sessions running
      logonID: parseInt(`${Date.now()}${Math.floor(Math.random() * 100)}`) % 1000000000,
    });

The account doesn't have any Steam Guard enabled. 

Edited by pagep

Hi 

Yeah you are right. I can't figure out the issue, it started when I did updated, went from Node 16 to Node 20 and from 4.24.6 to 5.0.8. I didn't have to touch anything else, the rest of the code is ~2y old. The steam part worked perfectly the whole time.

I was getting about 60% failures with that error. I started working on a fix, but know the account is "locked" in a weird state. I get 100% failure rate `Error: AlreadyLoggedInElsewhere` . I went back to to Node 16 and 4.24.6, still the same error. 

My flow is:

1. Login to Steam
  2. Generate encryptedAppTicket
  3. Logout from Steam 

The challenge is that I am running this in CloudFunctions, "stateless" environment with scaling. I have disabled the scaling. 
Now I am trying this: client = new SteamUser({autoRelogin: false, dataDirectory: null}); to avoid any conflicts but still the same issue. 

It seems like an issue on my side. Thank you for any insights you might have. 
🙏

image.thumb.png.ca707a7841bbdb5e96387dfe5f7288f2.png

There was a bug in 5.0.7 that made SteamUser automatically reconnect after you call logOff(). I suppose it's possible that this contributed to your issue. You might have a bunch of zombie processes running in your stateless environment. I don't know your environment, but see if there's some way to kill everything.

Awesome, thank you for the help. That was it! 🙏

It's GCP Cloud Function - and they do keep some state between the calls. I redeployed everything with old versions to wipe the states. And I no longer get the error. I believe 5.0.7 was the culprit, I traced a large amount of "log on" event logs when the functions were finishing executions and doing log off. 

Btw thank you for your great library. 💰💸