McKay Development

Get chat history

Guest Ino

Hi, how can i get full chat history like in as steam chat ? When I using client.getChatHistory() I getting less messages than in steam chat in web browser, and after several times using this method - history would clear.

Can you add the method like in steam web chat for getting full history ? through websocket method or smth

Edited by Ino

Have you tried getChatMessageHistory?

No, i haven't tried, but i trying now and getting empty messages, what i doing wrong ? ( i want to get history with my friend by steamid64 )

client.chat.getChatMessageHistory(null, id, {}, (err, response) => {
  console.log(err || response)
})
Edited by Ino

getChatMessageHistory is only going to get messages for a chat room.

Okay, then it doesn't suit me? How i can get full message history with my friend ? Can you add method for this ?

Edited by Ino

Tell me please, it's probably a bad idea - use getFriendMessageHistory very often, for example for spam detection?

About how many times a minute I can use it for sure so that it doesn't cause any problems?

Why would you need to use it that frequently? You get real-time notifications (through events) when friend messages are received.

Why would you need to use it that frequently? You get real-time notifications (through events) when friend messages are received.

I just did not find a way how to check for identical messages from other bots. That is, my bot responds to any messages (sometimes with a delay), and there are situations like: [other bot say] Unknown command [my bot say] I do not understand [other] Unknown command [my] I do not understand etc.

I do not save any message history (but I save the number of messages in the last 10 seconds) and thought to check: if msg1 = msg2 = ... = msg5 - ignore some time.

Although in any case, I understand that this is a bad solution to my problem and it will be better to keep last messages in arr and check them.