McKay Development

Using these libraries in server-less environments/functions

nickmura aka bobby

Hello, I'm trying to refactor my service in Svelte-kit, and I've been running into quite tedious errors when testing and initializing a user.

Here is a quick test when a user sends a post request, which would initialize the user, run some business logic, and then log off. 

I've ran essentially the same code in an express environment, with the same environment variables, which worked fine.

export const POST = async ({request:request}) => {
  //TODO

const client = new SteamUser();
  const community = new SteamCommunity();
  const manager = new TradeOfferManager({
    steam: client,
    community: community,
    language: 'en',
  });

const cred = {
    accountName: STEAM_NAME,
    password: STEAM_PASS,
    twoFactorCode: SteamTotp.generateAuthCode(STEAM_SHARED),
    logonID: 12345
  };

client.logOn(cred); // logging on 
  client.on('loggedOn', async () => {
    console.log('logged into steam');
    client.setPersona(SteamUser.EPersonaState.Online)
  })

client.on('webSession', (sessionid, cookies) => {
    manager.setCookies(cookies);
    community.setCookies(cookies);
    community.startConfirmationChecker(12500, STEAM_IDENTITY);
  })

async function doTradeStuff() {
    //TODO
  } //await doTradeStuff()

client.logOff(); // logging off

client.on('disconnected', async (eresult, msg) => {
    console.log('logged off steam', eresult, msg)
  })

return json({place: 'holder'})
}

Firstly, in all of the iterations I've made, I keep getting this `Error: LogonSessionReplaced 34`, which your documentation states could be mitigated / prevented by the logonID property when using the logOn method https://github.com/DoctorMcKay/node-steam-user#logondetails. However the issue still persists.

Secondly, the logOff method never runs in the serverless environment, as I do not get a disconnected event. https://github.com/DoctorMcKay/node-steam-user#disconnected

So, I'm looking for any guidance / hint as to where to look,  where I'm going wrong, if there's better practice, what to be aware about if I'm trying to run this in a serverless environment, etc. Thanks for your libraries. 

Edited by nickmura aka bobby
'logOff function' to 'logOff method'

Using steam-user in a serverless environment is really not a good idea, unless your environment runs very infrequently.

the logOff() method isn't doing anything for you because you're calling it synchronously right after logOn(). logOff() does nothing if not already logged on. You'd need to call client.logOff() inside your doTradeStuff method, at the end after everything has been done.

7 minutes ago, Dr. McKay said:

Using steam-user in a serverless environment is really not a good idea, unless your environment runs very infrequently.

the logOff() method isn't doing anything for you because you're calling it synchronously right after logOn(). logOff() does nothing if not already logged on. You'd need to call client.logOff() inside your doTradeStuff method, at the end after everything has been done.

The test successfully logs in, and logOff is not an asynchronous method I thought?
Anyways, your opinion is much better than mine, and if it's not a good idea to have a serverless backend, then I don't need to log out I guess. do you think you could you elaborate a bit on why it's bad? Thx

Edited by nickmura aka bobby

logOff() is not async, no. But you're calling it before you're actually logged on, because you're calling it synchronously along with logOn().

A couple reasons why running steam-user serverless is a bad idea:

1. You can only log on once every 30 seconds because that's how frequently TOTP codes change
  2. Steam will start throttling your logon attempts, even if you don't have any failed logons
  3. Your request responses will take quite a long time with all the overhead of logging on each time